The Slovenian footballer Nejc Skubic who has played in Konyasport for 6 seasons said that “Konya is our second home. When we return to our country one day, we will never break with Konya. We will always visit Konya and
follow the matches”
PRAISES FOR KONYASPORT FANS
The successful wingback of Konyasport, Nejc Skubic praised Konyasport fans and stated that “they are the most characteristic fans in Turkey and their support always motivates me. I love them so much”.
KONYA IS THE SECOND HOME FOR US
Expressing that Konya is always at a special place for him and his family, Skubic expressed that “Slovenia is my country but Konya has become a second home for us. My sons Lan and Maj grew up here. My wife Jusa learnt Turkish in Konya. In the future, when we leave Konya, we plan to visit this city every year. We want to show our sons the place where they grew up and we want to meet our friends here”.
MY CAREER IN KONYASPORT STARTED WELL
**You came from a small football league and a small country to a big football league and a big country. You play football in a different country and in a different culture. How was it different to play football here?
- As you mentioned, Slovenia is a small country and football doesn’t attract much attention as it does in Turkey. When I came here, I had a great shock. Of course it was a good shock. I used to play football for about 500 fans. But when I started to play here there were 42 thousand supporters. This was really a different feeling. Fans in Turkey are really excited and Konyasport fans are also fantastic. They met me really well and my career in Konyasport also started well. For 17 matches we didn’t lose any games. The next season, we also made a great start. We won the Turkish Cup and Super Cup and we got the chance to attend the UEFA European League for the first time. It has been a great honour for me to play football in Konyasport.
WE WILL CONSTANTLY VISIT KONYA
**You are one of the foreign footballers who played the longest in the history of Konyasport. Next year it will be 6,5 years. What do you feel about it?
- It has been a great honour for me to play football in Konyasport for long years. Generally footballers change teams every one or two years. However, I have been playing here for a long time and it is really a great feeling. I am very happy here. I never wanted to play in another team. My family is happy here. Konya is our second home. 6 years is a long time period for a person. We had great times in Konya. When we leave Konya, we plan to visit Konya in the future. I want my sons to see the place they grew up, played games and the school they went. The people in Konya are really nice and they always welcomed us.
**Konyasport had victories in its history during your time in the team. You gave an unforgettable happiness to supporters by scoring goals during the last penalties in Turkish cup and Super cup matches. Do you still miss those days? And what did you feel during those penalties?
- Everything was really good in the year we won Turkish Cup. We had great times after the match. I got the ball and went to the penalty point. In that moment, I just thought about scoring a goal. You have to believe in yourself in those moments. I am really happy to have a contribution of this success in the history of Konyasport. We were very happy to make our fans happy. That moment was very fantastic. Of course we miss those days, but we have to be realistic. There are many factors that affect the success. Sometimes you need luck, too. And sometimes you need everything to go on well at the same time.
Yugoslavian ecole brings the success
**Half of the players in Konyasport Team are from Balkan Countries. Nearly half of the team speak the same language. How does this affect the team and the communication in the team?
- I have been playing in Konyasport for 5 and a half year. We play with at least 5 players from Balkan countries. I had the advantage to adapt to the team via playing with former Yugoslavian footballers in my first year in Konyasport. Nearly all of us speak the same language. We have the same way of thinking. This has a very important impact on our success. The fans of Konyasport also love the Yugoslavian footballers. A footballer who comes from Balkans adapt to the team very easily. The footballers from Balkans play in the team for long years. Footballers such as Hacıahmetovic, Vukovic, Rangelov, and Milosevic have played in Konyasport for long years and they still continue to play.
We Speak Turkish with my Son “Lan”
**You live with your family in Konya for 4-5 years. Your sons “Lan and Maj” have grown up in Konya. The fans love especially Lan. How does Konya affect your wife Jusa and your sons’ lives?
- My wife and sons are very happy to live in Konya. People make jokes about my son’s name “Lan”. He has lots of friends in the kindergarten. They speak Turkish very well and this will be very good in his future life. Konya is a very special city for my wife and me. We will miss Konya in the future.
I love okra and lentil soup so much
**Konya and Turkey have a very vast gastronomic culture. What are your favourite food and desserts?
- There are very delicious meals in Turkey, but they are not very healthy. As a football player, I have to be careful about my nutrition. Some meals are fatty. I love the okra soup very much and lentil balls (a kind of appetiser made with lentil) and lentil soup.